Dreadlocks are one of the most popular hairstyles these days for a good reason. They look great, and they’re incredibly versatile.
But dreadlocks can become dull and lifeless over time if you’re like most people. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to add shine and luster to your dreads without harsh chemicals or treatments.
Try one of these techniques and see the results for yourself:
Regularly Wash your Scalp and Locs
Decide how long it should be between washes for your locs. Every 4 to 6 weeks, some people cut their locs. Everyone requires a little something special that fits their lifestyle and body. Don’t raise or lower the number excessively.
Washing your locs too seldom will result in the build-up and frequently results in dandruff or fungus developing on the scalp. Washing your hair too regularly will dry out the locs. You won’t achieve the locs of your dreams with an unclean scalp.
Condition and Oil Your Locs
Numerous organic oils exist that are effective on the locs and the scalp. Choose products with milder oils like jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, and chamomile oil as a rule of thumb.
Furthermore, it’s not difficult to understand how and why hot oil therapy is so effective on locs.
Aim for a hot oil treatment once every two months or once a month. Owning locs that naturally shine is well worth the effort and time.
Give yourself a bottle of Jinan leave-in conditioner if you want a fantastic natural conditioner for locs that we also enjoy.
Don’t Use These Products
Avoid using products that include toxic alcohol and perfumes because they can dry out your locs. While they could first appear to solve all of your hair problems, assuming they don’t result in buildup and mildew, they could eventually make your locs dry and brittle.
Look for goods designed with locs in mind, produced by businesses who are aware of their target market and care about their needs.
Massage the Scalp
Both inside and outside of the shower, one should massage their scalp. It’s simple to remember to massage your scalp in the shower because you’re already halfway there, but go above and beyond and give your scalp the pampering it deserves.
In addition to being relaxing, massages increase blood flow to the scalp and hair roots, which benefits people with frizzy, dry, or dry-scalp hair.
Once you’ve got that routine down, add a nightly scalp massage to your routine. It just takes five minutes to encourage the positive flow for locs living a healthy lifestyle.
Drink Lots of Water and Eat Nutritious Food
A thirsty body generally has dry locs. Drinks that dehydrate you should be avoided; instead, choose beverages that nourish your body, hair, and skin. Water that has been filtered or is mineral-infused will work much better.
Adopting a new diet will significantly enhance your skin and locs if you are dissatisfied with the quality of your hair. Instead of overindulging in foods that do nothing more than tickle your tongue and taste buds, increase the number of solids and liquids in your diet that will fuel your body and are rich in vitamins and minerals.
When you look at food, you can intuitively tell what’s healthy for you and what isn’t. Just pause for a moment to contemplate how the meal will make you feel and how it will affect your mood before you decide what to do.
If you make the empowered decision, you’ll feel much better overall. Don’t undervalue the influence of what we eat.
What Is The Best Natural Treatment For Dreadlocks
There are a few different ways to add shine and luster to dreadlocks without using harsh chemicals or damaging them. Dreadlocks can be conditioned with an oil or butter treatment, or you can add some natural ingredients like coconut oil, jojoba oil, or herbal extracts. You can also use a hair straightener on cool settings to create a sleek look.
4 Best Homemade Moisturizer For Dreadlocks
There are many homemade moisturizers for dreadlocks, but these five are some of the best. You can make them all with ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen, and they’re all vegan!
- Coconut Oil Moisturizer: This moisturizer is made simply by mixing coconut oil and water together. Coconut oil is a great natural moisturizer, so it will help keep your dreads looking shiny and healthy.
- Aloe Vera Moisturizer: Aloe vera is a great plant-based moisturizer that helps keep your locks hydrated and protected from damage. All you need to make this moisturizer is aloe vera gel, water, and a bit of sugar or honey to sweeten it up.
- Olive Oil Moisturizer: This olive oil moisturizer is just as easy to make as the coconut oil version above. Mix olive oil and water together, add some drops of essential oils if you want (lavender or rosemary are both good choices), and you’re ready to go!
- Avocado Moisturizer: Avocados are another great plant-based option for a homemade moisturizer. Simply mash an avocado with some water to create a thick mixture, then apply it to your locks as needed. Add some additional oils if you like (germaphobe readers can omit the essential oils).
How To Naturally Add Shine To Your Dreads
There are a few ways to naturally add shine to your dreadlocks without harsh chemicals or products. One easy way is to use an olive oil hair treatment.
Simply pour some olive oil into your hands and work it through your dreads until they are lathered up. Then comb through with a wide-toothed comb to distribute the oils evenly.
Leave the treatment for five minutes, then rinse off thoroughly with cool water.
Another easy way to give your dreadlocks a boost of shine is to use Moroccanoil hair care products. These products are available at most beauty supply stores and come in various formulations, including creams, gels, and aerosols.
Apply a small Moroccanoil product to towel-dried hair, focusing on the tips and root area. Style as usual. Be sure to shake the bottle before each use for even product distribution.
3 Natural Ways To Maintain Dreadlocks
Dreadlocks are a popular hairstyle that many people choose to wear. Dreadlocks can be tricky to keep looking good since they can quickly get dry and frizzy.
There are a few natural ways to maintain dreadlocks that will help them stay healthy and look their best.
- Change the Hair Oil: Dreadlocks need lots of moisture to stay healthy, so make sure you use an oil or cream to help keep them hydrated. A good hair oil for dreadlocks is coconut oil, which is rich in vitamins and minerals and is antibacterial, so it will also help prevent scalp infections.
- Use a Dreadlock Shampoo: Another way to keep your dreads hydrated and shiny is to use a shampoo specifically designed for dreadlocks. These shampoos are available online or at some hair stores, and they contain ingredients that will nourish your locks and protect them from damages caused by excess drying out.
- Trim Them Regularly: One of the most important things you can do to keep your dreadlocks looking their best is to trim them regularly. By keeping the locks trimmed close, you’ll avoid any frizziness or tangles, making your locks look smoother and shinier.
The methods and homemade products discussed above will help keep the locks shiny and healthy without using harsh chemicals or products.
If you’re interested in trying this out, be sure to check out some of our favorite brands of shine-boosting products!